How do I detect duplicate (filename) records?
It is possible - depending on your Portfolio client & Catalogue settings - to archive the same file several times over or the same file stored in different locations. How do you locate these duplicates?
Solution 1 - Network Edition client users
- Download the Scripting extras from your install CD or the Extensis website and install the scripts into your client's \scripts\ folder.
- Open the Catalogue with suspected duplicate records in Administrator mode and add a Custom field; Name = Duplicate, Type = String, Length = 2.
- Run the 'Find Duplicates' script. A list of duplicate records will be displayed from which you can then delete any unwanted items
Solution 2 - Desktop Edition client users
- Open the Catalogue with suspected duplicate records in Administrator mode.
- Open a new Gallery in List View displaying "Filename" and "Path" fields - and any other you might think pertinent - and use the gallery customisation to set the gallery to sort on Filename.
- Use the Catalog - Find All menu command to ensure that you are showing all records.
- Now work down the list and identify duplicates by eye and - based on the path or other data - decide which record(s)to delete.
Question: How do I detect duplicate (filename) records? [FAQ00221.htm]
Last Update:- 31 May 2006