Third-party SQLConnect-based solutions
Once your catalogue is in an SQL-based catalogue is also 'just' and SQL database and can be accessed via direct SQL calls. This allows extensions like:
- Thin clients
- Read/write web interfaces
- Database replication
- Complex workflows
A number of solutions houses have come forward with SQLConnect based Portfolio 'solutions'. As these are SQL based they are not exactly shirk-wrap applications - there will be some configuration work (or assistance with such work) needed but nonetheless they offer a significant time/cost gain over writing such features yourself (assuming you even know how).
Follow the links below to vendors site's to find out more - but do please say you came via the FAQ - they'd like to know you found them here!
- Dutchsoftware.com (NL): NetPublish Pro / NetPublish Enterprise. This is a J2EE (Java) implementation of a custom web interface to Portfolio SQLConnect. The Java middle layer does the hard work of interconnecting with the SQL leaving you free to use HTML, ASP, PHP etc to display the data that you access via a web browser. At simplest the output can be read-only like NetPublish but NPP/NPE offers far more. It can also be used like a web-based client allowing read-write access via a web browser. It replicates many of the client's functions and offers a more flexible permissions set-up than the client 4 levels of access. Currently SQLServer or mySQL back-ends are supported. NPE extends the range of NPP's offering. Find out more about NetPublish Pro and NetPublish Enterprise (links are to pages in English). A new product for those using is Woodwing's Smart Enterprise Connection for publishing workflow is NetPublish Enterprise Archive & Republish - read more at the link. All products have online demos.
- Xibis (UK): Portfolio WebConnect. WebConnect deals with the problem of trying to synch an in-house database with an external web-site - without choking the office's bandwidth needed for other tasks. Find out more about WebConnect.
- Silicon Systems (UK): Flowmation. Workflow integration/automation using SQL Connect for the DAM aspects. J2EE middle layer and web interface.Flowmation
- Altrigen (UK): Port:al and Port:al+. Basically a Portfolio DAM + website solution + host computer, configured as a complete package. Additional aspects include tracking of keyword search on the web access. The '+' version includes aspects such as e-commerce. Find out more about Port:al (Web link to follow soon - contact the FAQ for info in the interim).
- Formation (UK): AssetShare. Workflow/DAM integration with strict controls for where tracking of asset use and legislation compliance, etc. are important. Find out more about AssetShare (Web link to follow soon - contact the FAQ for info in the interim).
If you have a similar third-party extension to Portfolio do please contact the FAQ so it can be listed. A listing here implies no explicit endorsement - take the products as you find them.
Keywords (to assist indexing/searching):
Question: Third-party SQLConnect-based solutions [FAQ00379.htm]
Last Update:- 14 February 2007